“He loved to watch people burn, the way their skin blackened and blistered and melted off their bones. He burned lords he didn’t like. He burned Hands who disobeyed him. He burned anyone who was against him. Before long, half the country was against him.” ―Jaime Lannister about Aerys II Targaryen, the Mad King.
King Aerys II Targaryen, popularly known as the Mad King was the last Targaryen king, who was killed by a member of his own Kingsguard, Jaime Lannister during Robert’s Rebellion. We know that Aerys was a paranoid and a cruel king who liked to see people burning and he even killed Eddard Stark’s father and brother, which resulted in Robert’s Rebellion. However, there are many things about Aerys that most of us don’t know about.
Cut straight to some of the facts:
1. He was the Seventeenth and the Last Targaryen to sit on the Iron Throne. Strikes me hard to realise that he ended the 300 years long Targaryen dynasty.
2. Besides called the Mad King, he was also called King Scab, because of the scabs all over his body caused due to repeated cuts from the blades on the Iron Throne.
3. The Mad King wasn’t always so mad. In his youth, he is described as generous, handsome and resolute; every ingredient needed to become a decent king.
4. He was much like the generous version of Joffrey. While he liked being pampered and flattered and was quick to anger, he wasn’t nearly as cruel as Joffrey.
5. In fact, his early days of rule were quite prosperous with the Seven Kingdoms recovering from the War of the Ninepenny Kings and the Tragedy of Summerhall.
6. His mad traits started to evolve after he was taken captive and held as a prisoner by Daenys Darklyn during the Defiance of Duskendale.
7. As funny as it may sound, his fascination with fire became so obsessive after his return from Duskendale, he even got sexually aroused by it. That incident really had a huge impact on his life.
8. He had a phobia of blades and sharp things. This resulted in him not trimming his hair and nails. It made him look like this:
9. Aerys and his wife, Rhaella had no fondness between them. They married in accordance to a prophecy which foretold the birth of The Prince that was promised as his heir if he married her sister.
10. He was famed for removing hidebound old men from his court and employing bright young people instead. His small council saw the appointment of Tywin (then young) as Hand of the King, Varys as Master of Whisperers and Gerold Hightower as the Lord Commander of Kingsguard.
11. The Kingsguard also composed of young men under his rule. Warriors like Barristan Selmy and Arthur Dayne were made brothers of Kingsguard under his rule. Also, not to forget our very own Kingslayer, Jaime Lannister.
12. He is rumoured to have taken the maidenhood of Tywin’s wife, Joanna Lannister. There is a popular fan theory which says that Tyrion is the result of that relation.
13. In his youth, Aerys Targaryen, Tywin Lannister and Steffon Baratheon (father of Robert Baratheon) were closest of friends. As fate would have it, eventually their children became the reason for each other’s deaths. Sad story indeed.
House of The Dragon’s first teaser trailer is finally here! The teaser was released by HBO at the end of the HBO Max European launch event and it features a voiceover by Matt Smith who plays the role of Prince Daemon Targaryen. It broke the internet as soon as it was released, and fans are going crazy over the accuracy and detail shown in the teaser. It was watched by over 10 million viewers in less than three days of its launch! And George R. R. Martin has something to say about the teaser trailer.
Martin wrote on his blog Not a Blog:
“Yes, I know, most of you have already seen this. (What can I say? I am busy. Juggling so many balls, so many projects, posting stuff on my Not A Blog is not my highest priority, so things may always be a little bit behind here).
For the handful who have been off the internet the past few days, however… HBO has released the first official teaser/trailer for HOUSE OF THE DRAGON. Here ’tis.
(And yes, I love it too. Ryan and Miguel and their team are kicking ass and taking names).”
Looking at the current speed of production, we can hope Martin’s earlier prediction about the prequel’s release will come to fruition. What do you think about House of The Dragon? Talk to us in the comments below!
The filming for Game of Thrones prequel House of The Dragon is progressing really smoothly, besides minor delays everything’s looking good for HBO’s high priority project. HBO recently dropped the first official teaser trailer for House of The Dragon, and fans are going crazy about it. That being said, we know that filming for the prequel show will be starting in Spain the next week, and the cast and crew members are gathering up at the Castle of La Calahorra.
The actors are taking a small break from their busy schedule before the shoot resumes, and it seems Emily Carey, who will be playing a young Alicent Hightower in the show is having fun with a replica of the Iron Throne.
found this chair in leicester square (wearing green was coincidental) #HOTD #HouseoftheDragon #AlicentHightower pic.twitter.com/X8AN432Dbs
— Emily Carey (@TheEmilyCarey) October 8, 2021
Carey recently posted a picture on her official Twitter account. She seems to be enjoying a quiet day at Leicester Square, and her preferred choice of furniture is the Iron Throne replica. She wrote in the caption, “Found this chair in Leicester Square (wearing green was coincidental).” #HOTD #HouseofTheDragon #AlicentHightower
Do you think the future Queen of Westeros was foreshadowing a scene from House of The Dragon? Wearing green was coincidental? Maybe, maybe not. Only time will tell.
Are you excited about the Game of Thrones prequel House of The Dragon? Talk to us in the comments below!
You can also join our newly created Telegram group to talk about the show/books and interact with other fans.
Also, if you live in any of the places where House of the Dragon is currently filming or will be filming in the future, and would like to share photos of the sets/cast or any tips, drop us a mail at connect [at] wikiofthrones [dot] com or use our Contact Us form.
The teaser trailer to Game of Thrones prequel House of The Dragon is finally here! As we reported earlier, the teaser trailer was supposed to drop within the next two weeks, and hence the prediction checks out. The full trailer might be here right before Christmas, but for the moment let’s enjoy the epicness of the teaser trailer launched by HBO Max earlier today.
The teaser was released by HBO at the end of the HBO Max European launch event and it features a voiceover by Matt Smith who plays the role of Prince Daemon Targaryen. It broke the internet as soon as it was released, and fans are going crazy over the accuracy and detail shown in the teaser. Here are some of the tweets that reflect how they felt after watching the teaser trailer:
The effect of Ramin Djawadi’s amazing score was quite visible:
LETS GOOOOO pic.twitter.com/9jj04ZDlSs
— Naّwaf (@DarthNawaf) October 5, 2021
— A L I (@aL9ime) October 5, 2021
— mohammed (@mrmam96) October 5, 2021
Some fans seemed really excited about the Game of Thrones prequel:
This looks so good! I’m so excited!!! pic.twitter.com/CcbKUyCORD
— Ladybuglizzie (@sagevalentine) October 5, 2021
SCREAMING YEAHHHH LOOKS SO FRIGGIN GOOD
— Jessamine (@geeky_Jessamine) October 5, 2021
maybe i’m interested pic.twitter.com/YSI8gdyx1g
— midead (@evermorerep13) October 5, 2021
VISERYS, DAEMON E RHAENYRA, CORLYS, LAENOR, RHAENYS E LAENA; RHAENYRA NENÉM