In the recent months, we’ve heard the news of Game of Thrones season 8 wrapping up with a grand wrap-up party, cast members discussing their plans after the series ends, and even the confirmation of the of airing schedule by Casey Bloys. But, speculations for the end-game can be made on the basis of what we know so far and the filming details. Today, we bring you all the filming details we know so far [FILMING SPOILERS AHEAD! PROCEED WITH CAUTION]:
- Game of Thrones stars Kit Harington (Jon Snow), Liam Cunningham (Davos Seaworth), Nathalie Emmanuel (Missandei), Gwendoline Christie (Brienne), Jacob Anderson (Grey Worm) and more, started showing up in Belfast.
— Rory McCaughley (@Rory_McCaughley) October 22, 2017
- Sophie Turner (Sansa Stark), Emilia Clarke (Daenerys Targaryen), Iain Glen (Jorah), Ben Crompton (Dolorous Edd) along with Kit Harington and Gwendoline Christie were spotted in Belfast again.
- Giant Castle Set for Game of Thrones Season 8 was put up at Titanic Studios in Belfast, Northern Ireland.
— Paulo Ross (@paulorossradio) October 25, 2017
- Reports of filming at Wolf Hill Quarry came out, which was used to film the epic Ice Lake Battle in season 7.
- A video revealed trebuchet tests in action on the giant set in the Titanic Quarter in Belfast, Northern Ireland., via @a_red_priestess on Twitter.
— A Red Priestess (@a_red_priestess) November 6, 2017
- A pink sign was spotted near exterior Winterfell set at Moneyglass, Northern Ireland. A new scene with the Unsullied army was reportedly being filmed in Toome, near the Winterfell set. More building constructions at the Titanic Studios.
- Filming at Moneyglass set began in full swing. The set was upgraded with more added walls and reinforcements via @alinastark.
- Filming and green screens were reported at Winterfell set, near Moneyglass studio via Oakleaf Photography.
I was passing by the Winterfell set at Moneyglass so I stopped for a few pics. Looking from the outside in nothing much has changed from my last pics other than a lot of lighting equipment a massive green screen appearing #WinterIsComing #GOT #GameofThrones pic.twitter.com/b5msblwXL1
— Oakleaf Photography (@jct_c) December 11, 2017
- More photos of the giant set at Titanic Studios appeared and a new enormous tower was also seen on the set.
- A report said that a minor character filmed on the Winterfell set at Moneyglass. Director David Nutter was also seen on the set.
- Carice Van Houten who plays Melisandre was reported to be filming. She also shared an update in her Instagram story which was later taken down.
- Some night scenes were being shot at an illuminated Winterfell set at Moneyglass, Toome.
- A mysterious CGI made figure appeared atop King’s Landing set in Belfast, Northern Ireland.
— Stephen McGuckin ⚡️ (@SGuckin) January 20, 2018
- Peter Dinklage(Tyrion Lannister) and Maisie Williams (Arya Stark ) were sighted in Belfast. Some new details were revealed about a scene shot in an old set used for the Crypts of Winterfell.
- A shock for Game of Thrones fans: the entire Winterfell set was set ablaze by the production team.
- Several cast members of Game of Thrones were seen together including Iain Glen (Jorah Mormont), Gwendoline Christie and Kristofer Hivju (Tormund Giantsbane) and others.
- Lena Headey(Cersei Lannister) and Kit Harington were seen filming together in Dubrovnik, Croatia along with the actor who plays the Mountain. Lena was seen in a new costume. The director David Nutter along with the producers David and Dan was also seen.
- Giant twin towers were also spotted at the King’s Landing set in Belfast’s Titanic Studio.
- A new set was set up at Magheramorne Quarry, where a giant green screen had been set up. Pictures by Oakleaf photography revealed Unsullied lined up with their spears.
Game of Thrones filming Magheramoren for #GOT8 with major cast members does the zoomed in pic show Jon snow and Daenerys? purple lights must mean the knight king at some stage @WatchersOTWall @WiCnet @GofTNews @GameOfThronesF_ #WinterIsComing #GameofThrones8 @Talking_Thrones pic.twitter.com/ODQogIIM3O
— Oakleaf Photography (@jct_c) March 17, 2018
- GOTlikelocations on twitter reported pink signs appearing around the Linen Mill Studios, along with increased activities around the set which was previously used as a prime location for depicting Riverrun, Winterfell, and the Three-Eyed Raven’s Cave.
- We got shot of the ship set seen back in Season 7 in the scenes where Euron Greyjoy attacked Yara Greyjoy‘s fleet.
A ship on a sea of green. pic.twitter.com/FuC6Q4mIGx
— GoTlike Locations (@GoTlikeLocation) March 21, 2018
Also, a clip of some action sequence was revealed although it can’t be truly said who is involved in it.
A little bit of action pic.twitter.com/C8nudO3J8t
— Davy Orr (@DavynightorrOrr) March 22, 2018
- Fresco Films requested to use the Arena, the Fossa Bestiaria and the Amphitheater Grandstand and Galleries, which confirmed that the Dragonpit scenes will be filmed for season 8.
- Unsullied soldiers were spotted filming at Magheramorne Quarry set. Trebuchets testing was also sighted just like at the set of King’s Landing.
Easter has come to an end in Northern Ireland and filming at Magheramorne might resume once again for one final week. Over the weekend the set was not voided and gave some clue as to why the green screens have these giant dimensions. pic.twitter.com/FheMApWDXB
— GoTlike Locations (@GoTlikeLocation) April 3, 2018
- A huge crossbow in action was spotted at the King’s Landing set, Titanic Studios, Belfast.
- Los Siete Reinos posted pictures of a castle on the set, blood red in colour. The castle was later confirmed to be a part of the Red Keep.
- The filming on the set of Dragonpit started, which was earlier supposed to be shot between April 23rd to May 19th.
- A new leaked footage revealed Unsullied and Dothraki soldiers marching together to a filming location, probably King’s Landing.
- A quick filming by Game of Thrones production team was done. Possibly, we can have a scene or two from the Iron Islands in Season 8.
- Wilf Scolding, the actor who played Rhaegar Targaryen in the seventh shared an image of his in Belfast on his Instagram account.
— A Red Priestess (@a_red_priestess) April 30, 2018
- Main cast members including Maisie Williams, Sophie Turner, Peter Dinklage, and others arrived in Seville, Spain where dragon pit scenes are filmed. The filming was wrapped up on the 18th of May.
- An army of archers was spotted filming on a tower of the giant set of King’s Landing in Titanic Studios, Belfast.
- Hannah Murray (Gilly) finished filming her scenes for the final season of Game of Thrones.
- Dothraki extras were seen mounted on horses, at the Lessans Riding Stables, in an Instagram picture.
— Crown_For_A_King (@Crown_ForAKing) June 8, 2018
- Smoke was seen rising from the set of King’s Landing in Belfast. The castle being used for the Red Keep got repainted.
- The production team returned to a previously used location, Cushendun Caves.
- The production team returned to Magheramorne Quarry for filming more scenes which involved the use of green screens widely.
- Bella Ramsey (Lyanna Mormont) confirmed to return for the final season of Game of Thrones.
- A large chunk of the King’s Landing set was set ablaze. Some green screens were also used on the set.
We have already seen lots of great pictures from King's Landing today, so here's just some additions. pic.twitter.com/vCY7PRFMv2
— GoTlike Locations (@GoTlikeLocation) June 25, 2018
- Maisie Williams wrapped up shooting her scenes for the final seasons. Sophie Turner too confirmed this to the Digital Spy.
- The director Miguel Sapochnik confirmed that he has wrapped up filming season 8 of Game of Thrones.
Did we miss any filming news here? Tell us in the comments. For more details on the Game of Thrones filming visit our filming archives page.
A Weirdwood tree has popped up on the sets of Game of Thrones prequel, Bloodmoon
Game of Thrones prequel series Bloodmoon was ordered by HBO for a pilot, which means that the show is now filming, even though it’s for just one episode. Now, we have previously reported about the show’s ongoing filming, but today we have a familiar development on the sets. Read on!
As you might know, Bloodmoon is filming in Northern Ireland, as we expected it to. We also recently talked about the show’s simultaneous filming at Gaeta, Italy, and how we could have gotten what is possibly the first look at Naomi Watts in her character costume. There was another confirmation of her presence at the Italy shoots:
— naomi watts source (@nwattsource) July 16, 2019
Moving back to the Northern Ireland sets, we have a bigger development. The sets we have seen till now have mostly looked like parts of a big cave rig, and now a Weirwood tree has popped up on the sets:
22/06/2019 Titanic Studios pic.twitter.com/ilsorJByX5
— A Red Priestess (@a_red_priestess) July 16, 2019
We knew the Children of the Forest were going to be a part of the storyline, so as such it’s not a surprise to see a Weirwood tree pop up. What do you guys think? Excited yet? Talk to us in the comments, down below!
Game of Thrones prequel Bloodmoon is filming in Italy
Game of Thrones finally ended after an almost decade long run, and HBO isn’t wasting any time. The first approved prequel series to the show had begun the early stages of production recently, with the working title of ‘Bloodmoon‘. The show had begun filming in Northern Ireland, but reports are now saying that the show is also filming in Italy. Read on!
The official source for Game of Thrones news, Entertainment Weekly revealed that the filming on the pilot episode of the Game of Thrones prequel, Bloodmoon, has “quietly begun” in Northern Ireland. We also had some exclusive pictures of the locations being prepared for filming. Now, filming news for the show is coming from the Italian town of Gaeta, at Grotta del Turco, where the prequel is filming, according to local news outlet Il Messaggero:
— Visit Lazio (@visit_lazio) August 22, 2015
The place matches what we have seen in Northern Ireland, where the filming will be in cave-like environments. A cave rig has also been built at the Titanic Studios at Belfast.
— A Red Priestess (@a_red_priestess) June 10, 2019
This is the first time for Westeros to find a location in Italy, with Spain being the closest it ever got.
In case you don’t remember, the prequel is helmed by Jane Goldman, along with George R. R. Martin. S. J. Clarkson has been hired to direct the pilot. The show has an ensemble cast starring Naomi Watts, Naomi Ackie, Denise Gough, Miranda Richardson, Josh Whitehouse, Jamie Campbell Bower, Sheila Atim, Ivanno Jeremiah, Alex Sharp and Toby Regbo.
The pilot will decide whether the show gets picked up for full production. Bloodmoon is expected to air in late 2020 or early 2021. We’ll be updating you about the prequel as it progresses.
Are you excited yet? Talk to us in the comments, down below!
Game of Thrones prequel update: new logos on signboards, filming in Marble Arch Cave, and more
Game of Thrones ended but has opened up new possibilities for the prequel series with the working title ‘Bloodmoon‘ whose pilot filming is under progress. While the last week we reported the cast and crew members gathering in Belfast for filming, today we bring you more new updates regarding the production of the new series, featuring some exclusive images.
First of all, for the ones who are already familiar with the ‘pink’ signboards Game of Thrones originally used for guiding the cast members to the filming locations, new signboards have emerged in Belfast this time orange in colour and with a new logo of mammoths. We’ve already seen a mammoth in the Wildling Army during the episode ‘The Watchers on the Wall’ in Season 4, and this logo suggests that we will definitely see more of them in the new series. Take a look:
Secondly, the Marble Arch Caves of Northern Ireland will reportedly remain closed for the filming of the prequel. Here are some of the photos:
Titanic Studies of Northern Ireland, Belfast serve as a prime location for the filming of Game of Thrones. While construction around the set was evident the last month, more and more set pieces have started in and around similar to what we saw for Season 8 of Game of Thrones, while it was under production. Here are a few photos:
Lastly, a source reported sightings of the crew and a few vanity vans around the Antrim Coast of Northern Ireland. It looks like Antrim Coast will also serve as a major filming location for the ‘Bloodmoon’ TV series. Check out these photos:
As months pass and we approach towards the end of the year, more and more updates on the filming and the cast and the crew will surely surface. Yet these quick updates are surely an easy way to get through what some fans weren’t expecting from the final season of Game of Thrones. We really hope the ‘Bloodmoon’ requel series lives up to the hype.
What were your thoughts on this filming update on the upcoming Game of Thrones prequel series? Share your thoughts in the comments below.
Game of Thrones star Michiel Huisman (Daario Naharis) discusses his latest film, “The Other Lamb”
Game of Thrones has been a platform for so many talented actors. These fine artists have gone on to do...
Gemma Whelan (Yara Greyjoy) starrer Killing Eve Season 3 to premiere two weeks early
The coronavirus outbreak is refusing to slow down around the world. People have been in lockdown for quite some time...
Jason Momoa always asked for more fights scenes, says Game of Thrones fight co-ordinator Buster Reeves
Jason Momoa was one of the earliest finds of Game of Thrones. He was perhaps the first of many actors...
George R. R. Martin says Coronavirus shutdown will give him “more time to finish The Winds Of Winter”
Most of us cannot recall being locked down in our homes like this ever before in our lives. It’s perhaps...
George R. R. Martin reveals the costume he wore for his unseen Game of Thrones cameo
When a show becomes a magnanimous success everything associated with it becomes a treasure for fans. Game of Thrones was...
Peter Sollett to direct D. B. Weiss & David Benioff’s Netflix project ‘Metal Lords’
D. B. Weiss and David Benioff are back in news again! Do not worry it has got nothing to do...
Game of Thrones Beyond the Wall is coming to Huawei AppGallery on April 3
Games are a source of entertainment that creates a virtual space for all the action we could’ve imagined doing or...
- General1 week ago
Game of Thrones actor Jason Momoa might get replaced as Aquaman at a later stage in the franchise
- News1 week ago
The crossover between Westworld and Game of Thrones was George R.R. Martin’s idea
- News2 weeks ago
Indira Varma performed on stage with Emilia Clarke days before she tested positive for Coronavirus
- News1 week ago
Select episodes of Game of Thrones now free to stream on HBO amidst Coronavirus shutdown
- General2 weeks ago
Game of Thrones star Sophie Turner slams Evangeline Lilly for her stand on Coronavirus
- News2 weeks ago
Game of Thrones showrunners make a cameo on Westworld, complete with a dragon
- News5 days ago
Donate to Emilia Clarke’s CoVID-19 relief fund and get a chance to join her for a virtual dinner!
- Media1 week ago
Joe Dempsie (Gendry) stars in the trailer of Channel-4 drama “Adult Material”